Back from Florida and back into my normal routine finally. I have to say that even though I was at a conference for work, it was nice to get away from my desk and the Illinois weather for a few days. A lot has happened though since my last post so let’s try to get caught up…
1. Baseball season is upon us!! I love all sports but I have to say that baseball is my addiction. People find it hard to believe that I am a baseball fan in general, but it’s true. I could watch any game involving any team at any time. There’s just something about baseball.
2. Milton Bradley is hurt….again….big shocker! Who had the over/under at 6 games?? Sheesh!!
3. Adam Lind is making me look like a Fantasy Baseball genius!! I drafted Lind in our little blog authors fantasy league and he has come out of the gate on fire! I have followed Lind since he was drafted since he was from my home state of Indiana and I had heard quite a bit about him from people back home. So I knew he could swing the bat, but the way he has started this season is fantastic. I really hope he can keep it up. I think tonight I’ll do a “Cards I Used to Own” with the Adam Lind cards that I’ve had and then sold off. Ugh….regret.
And while we’re at it, what a great start by Toronto. Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays dominated the off season chatter for the AL East but this Blue Jays team could surprise a lot of people. They certainly can slug with any team in the league, the key for them is the starting pitching once you get past Roy Halladay. I’d love to see them make a trade for another starting pitcher and really take a run at this. Baseball is a funny game….you just never know.
4. Nick Adenhart….seriously, how sad was that? When I saw the story on Thursday, I was in shock because I had just watched him pitch the night before and was happy to see him turn in a great performance after a rocky tenure with the team last year. The story also made me stop and think because here were three people who were killed and they did nothing wrong. They were struck down by someone else’s stupid decision. Just makes you realize that you can do everything right in your life and it can all be taken away so quickly by someone else’s stupidity. Sad….and scary.
5. NCAA Championship…..wow, what a let down. I was actually pretty excited about the game on Monday night and we piled into the sports bar in our hotel and camped out a good viewing spot of the big 25 foot screen. Then the game started and I think it was over in 90 seconds. Seriously….why on earth was Michigan State trying to run with UNC? I really thought Izzo was a smarted coach than that.
6. And now we finally get to Justin Morneau. My man Morneau has gotten off to a so-so start this season, as the Twins have stumbled out of the block to a 3-5 record. Justin has a respectable 7 RBIs after the first week but all 7 of them came in two games (3 and 4). The worrisome thing for me is that Justin is sporting a 6:1 strikeout to walk ratio after the first 8 games. He has always struck out more than he’s walked, but the ratio has never been this wide. It’s still early but I think not having Joe Mauer in the lineup is going to have some pretty telling effects on Justin’s numbers. I still expect him to put up 30+ homers and 120+ RBIs but I think the average may be down this year and the strikeouts up since teams will go right after him since he doesn’t have the protection he once had.
I am pretty confident that that Twins will bounce back and take the AL Central division but they better not continue to suck for very long. I don’t see the winner of this division being a 90+ win team, but it’s best to not fall too far behind early and then spend your entire season trying to catch up. The starting pitching, especially Liriano, has been atrocious this first week. When you don’t have an overly potent lineup, you can’t afford to be giving the other team a bunch of runs. This team just isn’t going to outscore teams each night.
Read Full Post »